Rains bring woe in wake of storm – The Standard – Sophie Hui

Heavy rains lashing Hong Kong in the wake of tropical storm Merbok triggered landslides, floods and flight delays.

Merbok threatened the SAR for 11 hours – from the time signal No 8 was hoisted at 5.20pm on Monday to 4.40am yesterday when the signal was lowered to No 3.

The observatory canceled all storm signals at 11.10 am yesterday.

But heavy rains persisted, with the amber warning raised at 2.50am and the red warning up at 8.45am, creating traffic chaos for workers and students.

Tseung Kwan O and the northern part of New Territories, including Yuen Long and Sha Tau Kok, were drenched with 50 to 100 millimeters of rain.

Online comments said the observatory should have issued the black warning as the rainfall was very heavy, with flooding turning roads into virtual rivers and waterfalls. One comment read: “It was a disaster this morning. The rain was heavy like a waterfall, and there were floods.”

All rainstorm signals were canceled at 12.30pm. All in all there were two landslips and 19 floods and 75 trees collapsed.

A landslide at Tai Tam Tuk Reservoir in Stanley was reported to police at around 9am. The landslide was about eight meters high and eight meters wide, and blocked Tai Tam Road. Before nightfall all lanes of Tai Tam Road were still closed to all traffic, according to the Transport Department. And a wall of an abandoned village house at Sai Wai Tsuen in Wong Chuk Hang collapsed at about 9am. No casualty or damage was reported in both incidents.

A farmer in Yin Kong Tsuen in Kwu Tong, Sheung Shui said she lost around HK$300,000 as four hectares of watermelons were destroyed because of the flood.

Among people rescued by firemen were a woman and her son, who were trapped by floodwaters in their village on Tin Ha Road, Tin Shui Wai. Another woman and two men were led to safety from the same village.

According to the Hospital Authority, 10 people sought medical treatment at the accident and emergency departments at public hospitals.

All flights delayed on Monday have since departed.

But on record until 5pm yesterday, there were a total of 26 canceled flights 475 delayed flights, according to the Airport Authority.

At 4pm yesterday, Merbok was centered about 350 kilometers west- southwest of Fuzhou and was forecast to move northeast at about 15 kilometers per hour across the southeastern part of China and dissipate gradually.

Today will be mainly cloudy with a few showers. There will be isolated thunderstorms in the morning and sunny intervals in the afternoon. Temperatures will range between 26 and 31 degrees Celsius.

Merbok’s also poured 110mm of rain on Shenzhen, bringing traffic chaos. Water poured into Chegongmiao Station, which had to close before it reopened later in the morning.